Monday, September 16, 2013

August 9, 2013 Reflections from Peru ~ the parts weaving together a greater whole…

Volunteers - Volunteers come for all sorts of reasons - to glimpse how their life might be more privileged than others' lives. To get away from home and socialize (read drink and carouse) without parental oversight. To have immersion language learning. To get some idea how to work in the greater world for the greater good. To travel the country and see the sights. To feel helpful or loving. To share skills, talents... To model other strategies for making a way in life. To share love. To escape from their own lives and gain perspective. And so many more reasons. Certainly all those were in evidence during my 7 weeks.


We bonded and laughed and fully enjoyed each moment we had - in that moment. There was an intensity that felt very vital and alive. It was vital and alive! Age and experience, gender, color, social status were basically irrelevant to the handling of each experience in each moment. Travel plans were spontaneous and therefore special. In an instant a group could grow from 4 to 15 and all was well - better than well, it was great!  Dinner plans could so easily morph from 2 to 10 and back to 3 in a matter of hours. No matter!  It's all good! Totally bonded buddies in the moment - we will see how many friendships deepen and last.

There are two- three who have expressed a great deal on interest in joining me on a walking tour of Greek ancient places next summer! We will see - first if it can be arranged and second if they will still be able to come!

Travel - I loved meeting and traveling with lots of different people. Our mutual enthusiasm for the various adventures made every moment very heightened and special. I know about "the fragile coincidences of travel", but I hope that I can keep in touch with at least a few of the people I really enjoyed. Modern social media is a help.
I'll keep working on it.







Locals - Every Peruvian was welcoming, courteous, helpful, appreciative, and willing. At my volunteer placements, the medical interpreters worked really hard to help us do our work and the workers in the orphanage were very glad for help and made us feel we were actually doing some good.  Taxi drivers were polite, street vendors walked away if we declined their wares.... I never once felt unsafe or unwelcome even though my Spanish is still almost non-existent.  With more Spanish under my belt, I would be happy to go back and try my hand at doing more work here. Easy living it is not. But good, decent, hard-working living it is. For me that is very satisfying.


Spanish - by the end of my stay I knew enough numbers to make sense of prices, enough about time and meals to make arrangements, enough of the map layout to give simple directions or find my way, and enough mutually understood body language to get by when I had no words. Smiling and laughing made a big difference! I am very grateful to everyone I met who met me much more than half way in my language travails. I appreciate what an effort they made and am grateful for their hard work. I wish I could have reciprocated better.   Another year!

I was sad that I couldn't speak enough conversational Spanish to have real conversations with Yvonne and Carlos. She in particular wanted to talk a lot and we were mostly confined to the idiosyncrasies of my iTranslate app. (For example when I once asked about a breakfast drink she made us, the machine translated her as saying, "it is made of beans and dirty water and is very nutritious!" Needless to say, after the initial shock of reading the translation we erupted into gales of laughter, the ripples of which continue even onto this page.  Life is so full of opportunities for laughter!

Streets - traffic in Peru is amazing. I have never been driven by drivers who knew the perimeter of their vehicles to the nearest millimeter. When there was traffic it was dense - with side mirrors nearly touching. On the winding hairpin turns, I shut my eyes! We were so close to the edge and so unaware if someone was coming, that I was sure that at some point we would be among the statistics of those vehicles which took the fast way down. Nearly every week there was news of some truck, bus, car that misread the edge, but quite frankly I was surprised it didn't happen even more often.
Almost all vehicles are old and well used, but their engines are not clean and the huge volumes of black smoke spewing up as lights change at intersections, is awful.





SIGNS  Street signs are easy to decipher as they are words and photos.






DOGS There are dogs everywhere, but unlike some places I've been, they appear to be cared for, however that happens. I never saw them fed, but most of the dogs I saw seemed to stay at or near a particular place or house. Certainly they roam free and bark in loud voices at night, but they seem tame.  I saw so few cats, it's not worth counting.


Beggars There were a noticeable number of beggars. They didn't make demands, they sat by the side of the sidewalk, quietly, with a small basket in front to collect money. On the last day I gave a bag of socks and tee shirts to a man with withered legs and no fingers who manipulated the hand pedals of his wheel chair with an amazing agility, particularly since he was parked on a slope. He became very agitated when I left the bag beside him, and it seems that a direct handing off of money (or items) is not acceptable and they may lose their spot if seen accepting such gifts.  It doesn't make much sense to me, but there wasn't any doubt of his agitation.


Clothing. I really enjoyed the colorful clothing many people still wear every day. Mothers and older women carry babies, or all their wears, in bright colored blankets on their backs. Women and girls who make their living posing for photos in the Plaza have lovely embroidered dresses and shawls or vests. Women in outlying places still wear layers and layers of skirts - each one heavy and tied tightly around her waist. I'm sure it's for warmth in this season, but in the medical clinics I could sense that they are likely worn year round and not cleaned very often.


Women's hats are notable. The best story I heard of how they happened to wear such hats is the following:  the king of Spain was irritated by the fashion sense of Parisians, and how the king of France teased him about the dowdiness of Spanish fashion. The king of Spain is reputed to have said that even his slaves in the New World wore more fashionable clothes than Parisian women. According to this tale that is when various
Indigenous groups started wearing remarkable hats and men groups of men started wearing vests.  I have no idea if this is true, but it makes a good story.  The hat band colors represent marriage status.


Vistas - every day I found myself looking to the hills as a way of centering myself. I yearned for a daily glimpse of the snow capped peak at the end of the valley. I studied the lift angles of the mountains, the rocks of different inca ruins (so many kinds of rock).
Saved some small, interesting rocks from Machu Picchu and Cusco. Not the sand that I wanted, but small geological memories.





Food. Peruvian food has a good reputation for variety and unexpected combinations of texture and flavor. In one restaurant in particular (Limo on the Plaza des Armas) I found all that combined with a great presentation, but by and large the presentation was lacking in most places and the combinations were healthy but not memorable - except for one which had a limo sultinado empanadas to die for!  Valerian cafe on Ave del Sol.
Generally I ate at a functional level - carbs, more carbs and a few bits of vegetable color. One famous beige and white meal was made of corn, potatoes, rice, yucca with no other color. It was tasty and very filling, but not especially healthy.
After I got comfortable enough at Yvonne's to feel comfortable adding to the menu, we had some more variety. Some vegetable at every meal. Additional herbs and spices (but not nearly the variety we have at home.) The "safe" store for food shopping had really wilted vegetables. Only the general mkt had good looking vegetables, but I never felt safe buying food there - whether that was why I never got sick I can't tell, but I never got sick!
So I supplemented the home larder with real butter, lots of fruits to peel, tomatoes, avocados, onions, garlic and black pepper.  Oh yes, and occasional Chilean wine!

Just for the record, my absolute favorite dish was vegetarian cerviche at Limo Restaurant. Amazing that I never took a photo of it since I liked it so much.





Accomplishments - Suffice it to say that I feel I made a few small, long term differences and a few more short term ones. I am proud of that. No I didn't learn Spanish, but I got by and was able to share strong positive emotions with people even with limited language. I enjoyed being a part of things at a distance.

Finally-
I could have written a lot about Incan facility with building rock walls. Cutting massive limestone rocks with hematite hand tools - then moving them into place.
I could have written about rock retaining walls with extraordinary drainage systems which still work even now,
I could have written about traveling with dear friends who became more dear as we shared (and I got better with) their light humor and warmth. But I've left that blog note to Mary to give a new perspective to this blog.  Thank you dear one.
I could have written about each minute of each day, because  every moment was so filled with new sensations and thoughts.  My only way of absorbing all the physical, emotional and spiritual sensations is to write about them - otherwise they will vanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment