Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Quick First Impressions

Taxi drivers in Lima have faster reactions than shortstops in baseball and they totally understand the angles, especially the very acute angles. It is an amazement to me that I didn't see dented cars or dead people along the road. Not one.

The mountains between Lima and Cusco are extremely dry and more rugged than any I've seen from the air in the US. The folds generally face east, but there were many coming from all directions. Roads wove in tight switchbacks in and out of every canyon, but they didn't seem to join any communities. It's a mystery!

Cusco is in a surprisingly flat-ish valley. There is room for agriculture from produce to trees - along with residential developments climbing the closely surrounding hills. The architecture, while not as ugly as Lima, is simple concrete boxes of 2-3 stories. The welcome signs at the airport feature Coco-Cola and McDonald's. I was greeted with a very pleasant cup of coca tea. I understand that I am to drink quite a lot every day in order to offset altitude sickness (It's over 12K ft here.) So far I am doing alright.

I am staying with a super delightful family. The mother is a teacher of orphans, the son is a student of business, the father a retired agricultural engineer, the grandmother a former HS teacher of Spanish, we laughed a lot and made a pact that within 6 weeks we will all be much better in the opposite language! I am going to start Spanish lessons on Tuesday at the vast expense of $60 for a week of 2 hour lessons.

I have a lovely room which I will share with another volunteer who arrives tomorrow. A little dinner and the excitement of tomorrow to look forward to in my dreams - which will be many, I think.

Full moon shining in my room. GORGEOUS

View from the window of the apt where I will be staying. A very nice place with gracious people.

The ferned fountain in my hostel patio

RIPLEY department store in Lima, I feel welcome!


1 comment:

  1. My younger son did a similar Spanish language thing in Honduras - it was very successful.

    ReplyDelete