Saturday, April 20, 2013

Learning – Always Learning

In an effort to familiarize myself with new technology so that I’ll some way to read books and write letters during the trip, I’ve borrowed a friend’s IPad. I have been know to be pretty outspoken about not liking tablets and smart phones – probably mostly out of fear and embarrassment of appearing stupid yet once again – just as I simultaneously realize that my personal technology (read ‘body’) is slowing down too.  I suppose that everyone of a certain age has intimations of mortality more often than they’d like.  I’m one of them. It’s an outrage to be reminded of it every time new technology comes out.  What the Hell happened to the good old days – when I was pretty sure I knew all that was necessary to know!!  Such bold confidence!  :~)

So back to the iPad.  I have decided that in order to have some stimulating reading on my trip (in case I ever need it) I should learn about how to download, or is it upload, some of the 40,000 free e-books on Project Gutenburg. Last week I started reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (1868). He was a friend and writing colleague of Dickens and in this book has produced one of the best mysteries I’ve read – and I’ve read my share.  Apparently his novels were of the genre “sensation novels” which have morphed in detective and suspense fiction. He had an eye for remarkable details of life, situation and of the human heart. It took me a while to get started because of the language style, but before too long I was riveted – and gave myself the leisure this morning of finishing. It’s worth reading – and it’s free on Project Gutenberg!

Not wanting to leave this new library too soon, I found myself downloading books from the “T” list of authors. From the Roman Tacitus (500AD), to the Hindu Rabindranath Tagore (1900),  to Chinese author Qian Tao (400AD), Tennyson, Thackery, Trollpe, deToqueville and Tolstoy.....  A much wider selection than Barnes and Noble.  I could spend a whole year reading in the “T” section.

Scanning through the lesser know titles, such as A Gentleman from MississippiCanadian CrusoesAnimal Figures in the Maya CodicesThe Foundations of GeometryMedival Lore from Bartholemew Anglicus,  and The Life and Correspondence of Sir Isaac Brock, K.B.- Interspersed with notices of the celebrated Indian chief, Tecumseh, and comprising brief memoirs of Daniel De Lisle Brock, Esq., Lieutenant E.W. Tupper, R.N., and Colonel W. De Vic Tupper........I couldn’t help but notice the vast effort people continue to make to explain themselves to others. It made me think of the supportive family and friendship circles for each of these authors, which have disappeared over time. In the case of Chief Tecumseh, a whole culture and knowledge base has all but disappeared. But life keeps going on regardless.

Here I am documenting some observations of my own trip preparations – to what end???  To inspire you to reread the old classics, to entertain you for a few minutes, to remind you that I’m still alive and kicking, to imagine that I’m in your company and we’re having a good time together, to stimulate you to fill and then empty your own bucket list.....  I don’t know.  Perhaps I’m just talking to myself in a way I find interesting.

Whatever the cause, I hope the result is that you’ll comment now and then and we can share a mini-moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment