Saturday, July 6, 2013

Settling in

Last week's awesome medical campaign is now over and reality has sunk in. There are no more translators!!! Quite an unplanned blow. In Thailand and last week there were so many interpreters that I never considered the opposite. Dumb me!

So Monday when I went to the clinic placement, first the 2 lead doctors had a long discussion with the Medical Director of my team, during which I could hear phrases like "Non beneficios". I could tell it was a broad discussion and not about me specifically, but I was put on my guard that I had better do my best.

I was placed in the neonatal clinic and watched - gradually realizing that there were sufficient numbers of nurses there to do the job. I moved to the other room where medical students were learning to do a neonatal exam. The MD teacher was terrific in her teaching technique, that I could tell, but again there were sufficient staff. The clincher was that no one spoke English. BANG it hit me - not only couldn't I ask questions, I couldn't understand answers, or read the intake sheet, or know how to write anything. That is pretty much total illiteracy!!!! A humbling awareness.

So I quit clinical and am now enrolled in 2 two hour Spanish classes per day for the next 3 weeks. Then I will ask for another placement where, with my limited but better Spanish I might be able to make a small difference.

I've been able to make some nice acquaintances here and we are beginning to plan some sightseeing together. I am excited about that as I now feel I can handle it physically. I walk about 2 m RT between my host family and work, and a lot of other walking between classes. It's good exercise and I can now walk up 30 steps without holding on or having to stop. Stronger legs, stronger lungs, stronger red blood cells.

Cusco is laid out on a steady 20+ degree uphill slope on its flat surface with steep hills immediately adjacent. It is easy to get to most places, but the beautiful views are a hike. Every day I go higher and there are charming plazas, like San Blas, with their own churches and markets just waiting to be discovered. It is a lot of fun to explore. It's a comfortable town and I like it here. Now I just need to get better at Spanish and the trip will again be more satisfying.

By the way, if you are having trouble making comments on the blog site, as so many have said they are, join the others and just send me a comment note at:
Anne.grabbingthewave@gmail.com

Buenas noches mes amigas

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Anne! I am SO impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son Galen did something similar with learning Spanish and had alot of success. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete